mandag den 27. maj 2013

Clock Box v1.0

I wanted to be able to sync my various modules and homemade instruments so I came up with a little device that would produce a main clock with a number of divisions of the main clock for scaling down the tempo but still be in synch with the main clock.


I found the CMOS 4040 IC to be an obvious choice for the mission and the 40106 for producing a clock. The 4040 has 12 outputs which are divisions of the input. That is, it's a counter that counts the input N times before it outputs a HIGH, which is the same thing as having a clock frequency input divided by a factor of N.
The output divisions are /2, /4, /8, /16, /32, /64, /128, /256, /512, /1024, /2048, /4096.
I find the higher divisions to be quite slow so I don't reckon I'll be using them very much.


The device runs on 9V so I'll be installing voltage regulators in my devices I want to sync with the Clock Box, mostly it'll be regulated to 5V for arduino-based modules and floppy drives or 3V for walkman stuff but if I get to choose, I just run everything on 9V as it's easy to test with batteries and switch to a 9V AC/DC adapter for the final product.



I drew this layout for the circuit board, if you are going to build it from this layout note that the numbers indicate the connections between the chips and the 12 position rotary switches.

Gotta love CMOS chips! vast possibilities.

Over and out - yours truly,
Døgenigt

1 kommentar:

  1. Hi, I'm hoping to build your clock box but have a question:
    Where the 1k resister is connected the the 12way switch, I'm assuming that is connected to the centre/common pin on the switch?
    Phil.
    UK.

    SvarSlet